For those who are fairly new to box research and RTSC, i will provide below a list of hackable radios to be used for ghost box sweep functions.
Radio Shack Radios:
1. 12-469 (White-New Style). This the most popular one out there, it has AM and FM on it. It does not have a speaker built in, but can be used with an external speaker or earbuds. (Model NLA ***)
2. 12-469 (Gray and White-Old Style Model). Same functions as the newer one, but without the clicking during the sweep. This model is outdated and is harder to find. (Model NLA ***)
3. 12-470 (Gray and White-Old Style Model). Same as the 12-469, but with a speaker built in. This is also hard to find, do not but the newer model (Black) it will not work. (Model NLA ***)
4. 20-125 . This model has AM/FM and Shortwave, it also has a built in speaker. I feel the AM sweeps slowly in my area, but may work differently for others depending on the strength on the radio signal. (Model NLA ***)
5. 12-820 . This is an armband radio, which is AM and FM. This model works pretty well, but does not come with a speaker. Must be used with and external speaker or earbuds. (Model NLA ***)
6. 12-850 . This model is AM and FM and has a speaker built in. (Model NLA ***)
7. 12-587. This model is AM and FM with a built in speaker and a manual tuning knob as well. (Model NLA ***)
8. 12-588. This model is a small armband radio that requires a speaker. This is a AM/FM radio that sweeps at a decent pace. It's a nice addition to the collection, i recommend this model to newcomers. (Model NLA ***)
Non-Radio Shack Radios:
1. Sony Walkman (model #SRF-M37V). This is available at most stores like Best Buy or Circuit City. No hack involved, just put batteries in it and hold down the sweep knob. The only problem is that you have to manually hold the button down to sweep. It also needs an external speaker or earbuds.
2. www.paranormalsystems.com --- They have many different ghost boxes available to purchase. (Out of Business ***)
3. Manual Sweeps . This is one of my favorite ways to to do a session. Take any radio at all with a dial and manual sweep from one end of the band to the other while asking questions. Sometimes i ask a question and than sweep to avoid a radio distraction during my questions. This will work for anybody on any radio you may have, it's the best way to start out to see if RTSC is for you.